Tuesday 29 September 2015

Ava's Homemade Dress

 This was a really exciting project! I've never made anything for a little person before, so I'm really proud of how the dress turned out...
Vlisco fabric Geranium Dress and Vlisco Java fabric Midi Skirt

Ava and me in our matching 'haute couture'!

Earlier this year my friend Blanche had a beautiful baby girl  (and after she spotted my fabric on Facebook and dropped a not too 'subtle hint' that my next project should be perhaps be baby-wear...) I decided to make something for Ava (the baby) as a kind of 'hello and welcome to the world' present. Like I say I've never made anything for a baby before so I couldn't pattern it myself like I would usually do, instead I used this basic dress pattern I found on made-by-rae.com (Geranium Dress Pattern). I'm a bit of a purist and generally don't use commercial patterns so in an attempt to add my mark I altered the length a little bit and added some neon pink piping to the bodice. Also, after a bit of digging, I found some matching neon pink thread for the button holes and bright pink buttons at Simpy Fabrics in Brixton. After all Ava is fabulous so I had to make sure the dress was too!! And luckily, it fit her perfectly.

Here it is modeled by Ava herself... So young yet already so stylish!
xxx


the front of the dress
Baby Geranium dress in Vlisco Fabric sewing blogger

the back of dress
baby Geranium dress in Vlisco fabric

The dress in progress...

 Pattern Pieces

 Piping

 Topstitching

Sewing the button holes

Buttons

















No comments:

Post a Comment