Wednesday 8 June 2016

Pink Scuba Midi dress


sewing blogger, sewing, me made, scuba dress, pattern cutting, thelunchtimetailor, the lunchtime tailor


 Hello! Taken a quick break from my machine to post this midi dress I made last month. I was sent some embossed fuchsia scuba fabric by the Fabric Godmother as part of my Dream Wardrobe purchase. Each month I receive a pattern and some fabric through the post and it's a complete surprise what they will be. I love it, it's like getting a birthday present every month! I liked the pattern I received but as soon as I saw this fabric I knew I instantly knew the style of dress I wanted to make! So... I designed my own pattern... from scratch... to my body measurements. And after a few tweaks... it fits perfectly!!


I loved this project from start to finish. Sewing with scuba fabric is an absolute dream. My machine needle went through it like a hot knife through butter. Also you don't need to finish the seams or hem your garmet because scuba doesnt unravel; although I did finish the edges but only cause I love any excuse to use my overlocker! I overlocked the seams, but for the hem and sleeves I used a narrow overlock stitch in a light pink thread so it stands out against the fuchsia. (I also used this technique on the scuba skirt I made earlier in the year, also on the blog). Think I will definitely use this pattern down the line to make a few more scuba dresses. I have some butterfly print scuba which keeps eyeing me from the fabric stash which would look pefect in this style! 


Another perk, turns out it's the perfect day to night style. Not only is it a great 'go to' dress for the office but I also managed to pass it off as going out wear. I made it as a work dress, but that weekend (due to a severe shortage of clean clothes, brought on by sewing in my spare time instead of housekeeping!), I ended up wearing it for a night on the town in Richmond.


The work in progress...



(Clockwise) Pattern drafting/ Cut out pattern/ Cut our fabric/Fitting

You don't need to line scuba (and I'm not sure what material you would use if you did!) so to stop the zipper being uncomfortable I added a panel of scuba behind the zip. I also added a scuba facing on the neck.You know, in case you were wondering!

Next up will be the Satin jumpsuit I made to wear to a friend's wedding...

Back soon! xx



No comments:

Post a Comment